The Elektra Owners’ Association Rule 7.3 Smoking states ‘Absolutely no smoking is allowed in any common area, including hallways, stairwells, lobbies, elevators, and storage areas or within 25 feet of entrances.’. This includes all forms of smoking including electronic cigarettes/vapor products and all products that can be smoked including tobacco, cannabis, recreational drugs, etc.
Common area elements, per Elektra governing documents, are considered to consist of all portions of the Condominium except Units and include but are not limited to the following:
- The driving areas which provide access to the parking garages and lots
- Parking garages and parking lots
- Landscaped areas and Walkways which surround and provide access to the building or are used for recreational purposes
- Halls and Corridors (not within individual units)
- Storage areas
- Stairways and Stairs (inside and outside)
- Entrances and Exits of the Building
- All other parts of the property necessary or convenient to its existence.
Additionally, Washington State law prohibits smoking within a presumptively reasonable minimum distance of twenty-five feet from entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes that serve an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited so as to ensure that smoke does not enter the area through entrances, exits, open windows, or other means. The Board kindly requests all owners, residents and guests to smoke at appropriate location(s) so to ensure our community rules and Washington State laws are being adhered to. As always, Owners/Residents are responsible for the action(s) of their guests.
Permitted locations to smoking:
- The sidewalk on Hubbell Pl. – Maintaining a presumptively reasonable 25ft or further away from the building’s entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes.
- On Terry Street – Keeping the staircase leading to our community clear
- On the public staircase which connects Terry St. to Hubbell Pl., – This is located outside of the perimeter fence near the pet area on the south side of our community.
- Inside your unit – Keeping the entire act of smoking within your unit.
Anyone found to be smoking in common area of this community will be issued violation notices and fines per our governing documents.
Smoking Inside Units
After receiving complaints regarding smoking within units, the Board would also encourage all residents to take into consideration their neighbors and the law when smoking inside your unit(s). Be mindful if you smoke in your unit and/or smoking or blow smoke out your unit windows, you may be unintentionally bothering a neighbor and violating Washington state law. Smoking and blowing smoke out a unit window is considered to be smoking in public within 25 feet of windows that open. Residents, when permitted, are welcome to smoke within their unit(s); however, the act of smoking must remain within your unit, if smoke enters another unit or common area that is a violation.
Lastly, all garbage including cigarettes and other debris must be disposed of appropriately. Littering or throwing anything out unit windows is against the rules and very dangerous. There is currently an ongoing problem with individuals throwing cigarettes and debris out unit windows on the Northwest side of the building with those items end up on the roof of the 3rd-floor parking garage. Anyone caught littering or throwing anything out of unit windows will be fined immediately.
Any owner/resident with a complaint, please file that complaint using the resident complaint form on our website under the Resident Portal.